Please keep in mind transfers are initiated on the receiving broker’s side — Swell cannot initiate a transfer for you.
- Transfers can only occur between accounts of the same type. For example, a Traditional IRA can only be transferred into another Traditional IRA, and a Roth IRA can only be transferred into another Roth IRA.
- If you do not have a brokerage outside of Swell, you can open one with another investment firm. Make sure the account type that you open matches the account type that you have at Swell.
- If you already have a brokerage account outside of Swell, you can transfer your Swell account into that existing account — as long as the account type matches your Swell account type (for example Roth IRA to Roth IRA, taxable account to taxable account). If the account types do not match, you’ll need to open a new IRA.
- Information you’ll need to transfer may differ depending on the platform, but generally, they will ask you for:
- Your current institution: please enter Folio or Folio Investments, not Swell Investing
- Your Folio account number
- Your account type (Taxable (Flexible), Roth IRA, SEP IRA, Traditional IRA)
- Value of your account
- Personal information such as birth date and SSN